Friday, April 25, 2008

SACKCLOTH SUMMIT

I copied the following article from the news today:

Sackcloth Summit Tonight
Birmingham mayor calls for citywide prayer.
By Jim Faherty
Friday, April 25, 2008
They will be breaking out the burlap sacks at Boutwell Auditorium this evening. Mayor Larry Langford has declared today a citywide day of prayer in Birmingham. Langford recently ordered 2,000 burlap sacks, to be worn by community leaders as they pray for a reduction in violent crime. Langford has cited Biblical passages in saying that God is more likely to hear the prayers of those who humble themselves before Him, and that the sacks and ashes are intended as symbolic representations of that humility. The prayer service is set for 6 PM at Boutwell Auditorium. Sackcloth and ashes will be made available to those who attend.


I first heard about this on the radio this morning on the way to work, and I got really excited! I am very proud of our mayor for calling this night of prayer, and for encouraging all of the leaders and officials in the city to participate. God says in his Word in 2 Chronicles 7:14 "14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." What are we all praying for in our lives? How are we humbling ourselves before God? Are we seeking more to see Him answer our prayers versus just seeking to know Him? I know there is so much in my life that I want to see accomplished and so many wounds to be healed, and I don't think that I have yet fully understood or appreciated the power that is in prayer, and the power that comes from true humility before God and others. I know I need to know Him more. I want to know Him more. And the more that I do know Him, the more that I will be changed within.

God, please teach us all the meaning of true humility so that we may experience your presence and your power. Search us and try us to see if there is any false thing within us, and Lord help us to change. Help us to purify our hearts and minds. Mold us, shape us, and refine us please. Lord please forgive us and heal us. We confess our shortcomings to you. You God are mighty to save and mighty to heal! But God we seek your face, and not just your hands! I pray for Mayor Langford, and thank you for his leadership in this city. Please continue to strengthen him in his work and give him an increasing measure of wisdom and revelation.

0 comments: