Sunday, November 23, 2008

Peace

We have been baby sitting our neighbor's sister's dog this weekend. She has a Wiemeriener (sp?) named Sweetie, and she is very sweet and well behaved. Her and Sunshine has been playing together very well. This morning, however, they both started prancing around the room at 6:00 wanting to go outside. Sweetie has the advantage over Sunshine in that she is big enough to poke me with her nose while I am still in the bed. So after the second cold nose poke, I decided to get up and let them out. I was not happy because we stayed up late last night and I was very tired, but the moment that I stepped outside and felt the cool morning air, and heard how peaceful and quiet it was, I was immediately thankful for having been woken up.

I wish that I was more of a morning person, because the early morning hours are so quiet and peaceful, especially outside. It is like the calm before the storm. The time where you can just sit and rest and reflect and pray before the business of the day begins. So that is what I did this morning...cup of coffee, candle lit, quietness, reflection...peace.

We pack our schedules with so much to do during the day. It is a shame that we miss these times of just sitting and resting and not being so mentally and physically active. I think God intended for these times of rest, so that we can just empty ourselves from all that is going through our minds and going on around us. And then He can fill us back up with the things that He knows we will need to get through the day. I think that is why it says Jesus would get up in the early morning hours to pray. Usually if I am up in the early morning hours, it is to go to work. But not today. I think that an hour of this everyday would give me more energy than and extra hour of sleep. Does that mean I am going to start waking up an hour earlier everyday...not sure. But I would like to. Maybe I'll give it a try.


2 comments:

Questions? said...

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way when I wake up with Sammi before he goes to work. That's what I love most about the beach vacations. You wake up to the sound of the ocean, the brisk wind, the soft sun, and the smell of salt. It's easier for me to reflect on God's wonders when I'm right in front of one although it should be that way no matter where i'm at.

BlessedMom said...

I love those dogs! If we ever get another one, I think that's what we'll get!